Friday, September 5, 2014

A Tribute to Love

This is the final part of my poetic trilogy. After my recent posts on truth and knowledge, this post is about one of the most powerful and humanizing of emotions - love. I consider love as the most important among the concepts in my trilogy. Hence, instead of just couplets, I have written sonnets! This is not the first time I have written about love though. In the distant past, I had argued how all notions of God can be distilled into a couple of simple but popular adages: "Deus Caritas Est" in Latin, which means "Love is God", and "Anbe Sivam, Anbe Satthiyam" in Tamil, which also translates to "Love is God, Love is Truth". Enough said; let us get right to the poems now. :-)

English:

The slayer of logic and reason,
Truth and knowledge bow to this.
Shining bright no matter the season,
Yielding us beautiful eternal bliss.

We get it from a spouse, a friend,
From family, even from a pet.
Verily, it does not have an end,
Indeed, that I am willing to bet!

So, share your heart forever and now,
With all you think worth loving.
For a life that is rich in love,
Is indeed the life worth living.

What good is professing if we don't realize its value?
Just affirm to your loved ones, I love you, I love you!

Tamil:

Anbe sivam, anbe satthiyam,
Anbe santhosham, anbe nitthiyam.
Anbaale suttrugiradhu nam bhoomi,
Anbai vida sirandhadhedhoru saami?
Anbinaal varum aanandha mayakkam,
Anbudan irukka en indha thayakkam?
Anbenbadhu alla verum vaarthai,
Anbirundhaale sezhikkum vaazhkai.

Interpretation in English:

Love is God, Love is truth,
Love is happiness, Love is eternal.
Love makes the world go round.
Is there a God as great as Love?
Love gives us beautiful bliss.
So why hesitate to live with Love?
Love is not just another word,
Love alone makes life lively!

No comments:

Post a Comment