Friday, September 5, 2014

A Duel in Rhyme

Recently, I had scheduled a rehearsal run for a talk of mine early on a Monday morning. This was at the place I do research - a lab called GSL. My friend, B (name withheld upon request :D), offered to attend and give feedback but was kinda shocked that it was so early. So, I replied to B in rhyme! :D Little did I expect it to set off the duel that came afterwards! I present it here just for fun. Enjoy! :)

A, over email at 10.52pm:

Indeed, it may be thus.
But 'tis no cause for a fuss.
Hence, do come to the talk.
For so will the GSL flock!

B, replying at 11.34pm:

Aha, this is indeed nice
Makes me want to play dice
And then discuss about people's vice
And all their various guise

But then I should now refrain
For if I go on with this thought-train
Fried will be thou brain
And I will be classified as a pain
:P

A, replying at 11.55pm:

:D
Sabaash, idhu sariyaana potti,
Vari irukkum pozhudhu en petti?
Vaarthaigalaal adippom lootti,
Maditthu kattinen en vetti!

Karte rahein kya baat,
Mere paas hai poori raat!
Ab mujhe hua hai gyaat,
Ki tum khelogi mere saath!

(Interpretation in English of the Tamil and Hindi stanzas:

Awesome, this is quite a contest,
Why mere words when we have rhyme?
So let us play with words in jest,
I am game and ready to chime!

We can continue our chat,
I can spend all night.
I have now understood that,
You too are game for a fight!
)

Now, not expecting B to be awake after midnight, I crash. Later at night, (at 12.22am!) B comes back with this:

Lol Lol Lol
I can talk till my alarm rings its bell
But then there is so much to tell
That years are inadequate for my tells (tales)

Par ham ko chahiye bhi sona (sleep)
Kyun ki uske ke bina nahi kamapayenge woh sona (gold)
Jisko paakar aatha hai behtar sona (sleep)
Arey yaar, anth mein is sone (gold) ke peeche me, mein bhool gayi sona (sleep)!

You have to forgive my broken Hindi though.

(Interpretation in English of the Hindi stanza:

But we do need to get adequate sleep.
Without it we cannot work and earn money.
With more money, we will get better sleep.
Oh dear, but I have lost sleep in search of money!
)

Not getting a response from me for a while, late at 12.54am (!), B declares the following:

Looks like Arun got tired
And for the day, retired

But he said he will talk to me all night
Ha, now I am gonna take this as a slight

Now now, don't worry I am just talking light
Sleep tight, have a good night!

LOL! Of course, it was a tiring day - I have a lot of work! So I was fast asleep. After waking up, I saw the above in my email, and laughed! :D So, I conceded at 8am the next day.
A:

OMG, I think you have gone crazy,
For you were actually up all night.
If only I were not so lazy,
I would have continued the fight.

I did not want a monster loose,
So, no sleep did not seem right.
I am ready to call this a truce.
And I raise my flag that is white!
:D _/\_

B 1 - A 0? Next time, B. Next time. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment